I’m all about thanking your friends, family and business clients in unique ways. I want to paint a picture for you, that may sound familiar. Even if it’s not exactly specific to you, I think you’ll relate to what I’m trying to say. And hint…it’s got to do with appreciation marketing, but not the way you know it today.
I want you to follow along, open up your mind, and imagine this, as if you are the person I’m describing.
Here’s a scenario that I know specifically has happened to a real estate professional, and I’m sure something like this has happened to you.
1. Got a referral from a coffee buddy, and you need to send a thank you card and a Starbucks gift card.
2. A friend in Florida just had a baby and you need to send a card and baby gift.
3. You just closed a deal and need to send a thank you card and a nice gift basket.
Here’s the two choices you have.
1. You’re too busy, so you blow it off and regret it later.
2. You log into your new online marketing software pick all three cards, type a personal message in each (in your handwriting, with your signature), you add the Starbucks card, the baby gift and a really nice gift basket for your client. This takes you under 5 minutes, and REAL cards and gifts with a REAL stamp go out that night while you’re sleeping.
How cool is that? If you want to know more, contact me.
I want you to really grasp the above scenario as it is very common in business, but most people unfortunately choose option number 1 above and then wonder why their business is not doing as good as it could be. You see… I am huge believer in marketing for your product or service.
You can have the best product or service on the planet, but if people don’t know about it, you’re dead in the water! But here’s where I differ in my marketing than most traditional businesses. I believe in what I call “active marketing”, not standard “passive marketing”.
Here’s what I mean. How often have you put an ad in your local paper, magazine or better yet your yellow pages? How’d that work for you? Unless your business name starts with an “a” in the yellow pages, you’re never going to get found, and that is throwing money right out your window. And yellow page ads are not cheap!
This is “passive marketing”, where you put an ad out there and “wait” for someone to find it, and then more importantly contact you (less than 3%-5% will). If you have a big wallet and a lot of patience, go for it.
What I think is more effective is “active marketing”. Reaching out to your targeted demographic, preferrably your clients (both current and past). It’s much more cost effective to keep a current customer than get a new one. By reaching out to these people with unexpected, thank you (appreciation) cards and gifts, you will make an impact with them, and they will feel like you really care.
When a client feels like you care, they will refer you to all their family, friends and peers. This form of active marketing will generate ongoing referrals that cost you nothing. And referrals are nearly a guaranteed customer, as they have been referred from someone already using your product or service.
And as always, I’d love to hear from you! Give me a shout out down below and some FB or Twitter love! Thanks so much!